Thursday, July 16, 1970

YOSSARIAN IN HOSPITAL!!!

After suffering from NEAR-JAUNDICE liver pain, Yossarian ends up in the hospital. Even the doctors are perplexed from Yossarian's condition since he feels the same amount of pain everyday. Despite the nurses who dislike him, Yossarian claims that his life in the hospital is quite comfortable: decent food that is brought to him, chilled drinks in the hot afternoon, and no disturbance. However, he states that he is forced to censor letter, which grows quite monotonous after time. Coming up with a brilliant idea of inventing games to entertain himself, he eliminates the text as if he were God, taking out all modifiers. At times he scratches out the whole text except the salutation, coming up with his own messages and identities like Washington Irving or Irving Washington, provoking the arrival of a Criminal Investigation Command (C.I.D) investigator in the disguise of a patient. Luckily, Yossarian has company like me, an artillery captain skilled at chess, a fighter pilot captain, another captain with malaria, a warrant officer, a soldier covered with plaster and gauze also known as the soldier in white, and finally a Texan, who turns out to be extremely annoying. Both Yossarian and I suspect the Texan for killing the soldier in white. Yossarian even says that a fire started, threatening to enter Yossarian's ward. The next day, a chaplain was sent to talk with the ward whom Yossarian chatted with about his life so far in the hospital. After the conversation, he told me about the nice chaplain. Unfortunately, several days later, our ward was cleared by the vexatious Texan, therefore ending Yossarian's and my stay in the hospital as well.
Written by Dunbar
catch-22-3

2 comments:

  1. I remember that ward...It was the best we've stayed in yet. That Texan sure was annoying though. I didn't go to the hospital for nearly having jaundice, I went because I was injured in a very dangerous mission that I volunteered for. And how exactly did you know how I censored those letters?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sources. I didn't tell the C.I.D guy though.

      Delete