Saturday, August 17, 2013

THE CATCH: CATCH-22

"Sure there's a catch. Catch-22. Anybody who wants to get out of combat duty isn't really crazy."

The other day, I was talking  with my friend Doc Daneeka, who was having trouble with his wild roommate, Chief White Halfoat, about grounding crazy people. To start the discussion, I went crazy because I wanted to be grounded and away from the Air force, which somewhat annoyed Daneeka. When I tried to clarify if he could ground me for being crazy, which he surprisingly said that it was his obligation to do so. If a person kept on flying extremely dangerous missions, knowing the treacherous path ahead, he would be declared insane. People who kept on Puzzled, I asked if he could ground my eccentric roommate, Orr. Daneeka said that he could, but Orr had to ask him according to the rule of grounding. This flabbergasted me once again, so I asked if after the request to be grounded, Daneeka would proceed to grounding Orr. To this, Daneeka stated that he couldn't meaning that there was a catch. And soon enough he said that there was a catch: Catch-22, meaning that the situation they were in was unavoidable, because of a series of contradictory conditions. In this case, Orr was already crazy, but if he asked Doc Daneeka if he could, he would be declared sane because of the fact that Orr wanted to get away from danger and was aware of it therefore stating that he was sane. I am quite upset that it is unfeasible to be grounded, but one thing's for sure: "That's some catch, that Catch-22".
Written by Captain Yossarian

1 comment:

  1. That's right, Catch-22 is the best catch there ever is.

    ReplyDelete